Pageviews from the past week

Saturday 16 December 2006

Les Feuilles Mortes

The train pulled out of Edinburgh Station.

The sun was now making its way towards the western horizon. As I sat squinting a familiar stretch of land caught my eye. A green cliff rose from the ground and towered above the city. Tiny speckles moved around- people. My eyes consulted my memory and I traced the contours fo the cliff and landed on a distinct point, at the edge of the cliff. Two speckles stood there, staring down at the city.

The wind had blown its autumn scent at us. As we glanced over the skyline we noticed the castle where we had just walked not much earlier. He put his arm around my shoulder. We talked. I listened to him talk. My heart did not feel the same way it did that warm night in August when I got on the plane for London. Too much time had passed, and I had worked very hard on separating myself from him emotionally. For that, there were lovers, and friends, and a wholly different environment. Cliche: I loved him, but I wasn't in love with him. Not anymore. Though I could have sworn to you in August he would never leave my heart - and maybe he never did. On that cliff, as I listened I thought: I didn't want to hurt him, but now I know that was the only way.

The sun kissed our faces, still tanned from a summer of lust and adventure. As we made our way back into the City the clouds blew in and it started to rain. The sky turned red. He looked at me from under his rain cap. As I had none my face was drenched, and I couldn't look back. I think it was then, though his mind probably denied it, that he saw right through me.

The train sped past the vast green.

No comments:

Post a Comment