Pageviews from the past week

Monday 21 November 2011

Still frames

If I could freeze time, I’d probably freeze it at 5.25 pm CET last night. The sky lit up into an almost crimson red as the sun set behind the Musée D’Orsay. The air was perfectly still, the weather was docile. I sat alone on a stone bench wrapped in my black trench coat on the right bank of the Seine watching as the city’s lights began to overtake the sun’s rays. The track lighting at the top of the Tour Eiffel started beaming across the city, like a lighthouse guiding lost, sea-faring souls back to the joys of this world. Back to the beauty of what it is to be human.


If I could freeze time, I’d probably freeze it when I was finally alone with you, at 3.25 am CET last Saturday. I’d freeze it just as your hands engulfed the sides of my face and you leaned in to kiss me. I’d freeze it just as the feeling of euphoria travelled through my spine and as my arms wrapped themselves around your waist.

If I could freeze time, I’d freeze it at my high school graduation. The sense of extra-ordinary achievement, of knowing no limits to the life ahead, of being surrounded by all those I love and all those I’d spent my formative years seeing, squabbling and laughing with all the same, day in and day out. I’d freeze it just as I released my cap into the air of the giant auditorium in front of a thousand gleaming faces, my hand outstretched in mid-air and body lifted off the ground.

Or maybe, if I could freeze time, I’d freeze to before I first felt real pain. I’d freeze it to when I was foetal in my mother’s womb. Silent, unaware, warm, without flaw.

But I cannot freeze time, try as I might to hold on to fleeting moments or protect myself from heartache and tragedy. Still frames are perfect, but they are also dead. Death is a part of life and it will come in time. Until then, the best I can do in this life is to accumulate these glimpses of joy such that one day, near the very end, I can take comfort in the still frames and celebrate a life well lived, a life well conquered.

No comments:

Post a Comment