Pageviews from the past week

Tuesday 18 August 2009

Sterility

When you grow up in Cairo, you learn to respect sterility. In a city where noise, smoke, clutter, dust and a multiplying population are the overwhelming norm, clean-cut minimalism has an almost paranormal appeal. For me, the attraction was more of a necessity. At the age of 18, I was diagnosed with a 'mild' linear OCD (after I stormed out of a NMUN meeting at AUC, projectile vomiting because the "chairs weren't in rows") that, thankfully, only manifests itself from time to time.


So here I am, sitting on top of my glass tower in London, not a paper out of place, not an angle betraying 90 degrees. And what do I miss? A little haphazardness, a little unpredictability. Yes, the grass is always greener.

2 comments:

  1. what you miss is me to clean up after!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, don't tell me you miss Cairo!
    It is Madness (capitalizing nouns like they should!) personified.
    God, I mean I am a total bohemian chick and everything, but even I think Cairo is a tad too much!
    But it is in us humans, we are never free from attachment.
    Part of our beauty and misery all at the same time..
    peace

    ReplyDelete