Pageviews from the past week

Monday 6 April 2009

Viva la Résistance!

We've all been there. Boy meets boy. Boy falls head over heels for boy, and is pretty sure the same is true in reverse. Boy realises tragic flaw in boy. The tragic flaw consumes the entire relationship and boy can no longer play the game. Boy dumps boy, wondering if the other boy was just as head over heels for him…It's called Shakespearean tragedy with a homo twist.

Though my relationship with JD had, at least in my mind, substantially ended quite a while ago, old flames were somewhat fanned when he announced he was visiting London for a few days to see 'a sick uncle'. I wasn't entirely sure meeting him was a good idea, but he insisted that it would be a good thing and I was after all curious as to whatever happened between us.

In typical neo-JD fashion (neo as in post-turning-into-a-freak-I-don’t-even-recognise JD), he came and went, failing to ever make enough effort to realise that dinner. And the thing is, before he said he was coming, I was fine. Things were moving on. I'd met Superman (ok, he just looks like superman because he has an amazing jaw-line and Scottish features - and ever since I met him that Mandy/Booka Shade track "Superman" has been playing in my head!) a few weeks back and along with another couple of friends-with-favours, things looked like they were on the up. But in those three days JD spent here, messaging but never committing, begging but never promising, I was gradually consumed with enough anger to burn a whole through the ground beneath me. The day he was leaving London, I sent him a message asking him to kindly delete all of my contact details and not to ever fucking dare so much as think about calling (add a few more four letter words in there). Predictably, he messaged back expressing hurt and confusion, but he will have to try a lot harder than that to get a response from me.

So Viva la Résistance! Taking the lead from my homegirl Oprah who first debuted the "He's Just Not That Into You" book into our dating lives, I moved ON.

But herein lies the danger. Though I technically dumped him, the reality was that he constructively dumped me because he left me no choice. I was dumped indirectly. I've never been dumped before, but thankfully have seen enough of it around me to gather a little intelligence to help me navigate the aftermath. And it is an abyss.
Attention. That’s what you always need when you've been dumped. You need to know that people still want you, that you still matter, that you have prospects and won't be alone forever. Now I know that sounds silly, but its true. As noted, I had seen this around me several times, and I did everything but strap my hands together to stop me from dialling exes or fuck buddies from times past.

And my friend P Bear was right; the only way to get over a man is to get under one. Just always make sure it's not something you'll regret.

So I put it all behind me with speed I'm even surprised I could muster. That same day (last Friday) I sent the text message I was in Soho for a birthday, and out of nowhere I met a stunning guy from San Francisco. It was perfect, he was gone on Monday, and he was looking for some fun and someone to have dinner with. I happily obliged, also knowing that I will be in San Francisco next month and will probably need similar treatment.

And when it rains it fucking pours. Remember Kyril from my New Years Chronicles? Out of nowhere I get a message from him, asking if I was in London over Easter, and whether I would be interested in having coffee with him. Superman leaves me a heart-felt voice message on the phone that evening (I told him about the situation with JD, and he is doing his 'best to give me some space).

So I've decided this is a lot like the France in the 18th century. Was JD the equivalent of Louis XVI? Did I lead my own résistance movement to rid myself of the tyrant? No, I think JS, my previous partner of 3 years, was Louis XVI. Once I'd ousted him, JD came in as Robespierre with promises of freedom that turned into a Reign of Terror. If my love life follows the analogy of the French Revolution, I'm bound to have a Napoleon very soon. I just hope this one is taller and has a bigger penis.

4 comments:

  1. what do i say what do i say ...

    honey love bear sugar sweetie darlin did i say love oh yes i did, sister, buttercup, bubble butt boi

    you have a problem like me other than being egoistic (yes we are, over self confident) and part of being over confident we also know that we are smart... so since we are both smart people we have the same flaw we over anaylize... we look into things with to much details, as V says when ever we meet new people this Q, the person that always stragize and anaylize and study his moves, when ever something happens good or bad ... happens to us we tend to think about it dwell on it think about it critic it... which in a way as much as we know is dangerous ... we dont burry... we dont think like normal people and just move on and party on...

    so my advice, just dont think about it... my strategy lately has been always being busy ... always BUSY ... no time to breathe even... GYM, FRIENDS WORK. and if you have time to do boys then really consider my notion of gym and dont give me that bull that you dont have time you do!!! please fit it in your schedule i am already starting to see the benifits it cant wait to see you next time

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh darling, I have yet to see anyone who dresses his personal tragedies in 19th C French history!
    Tres originale!
    Moving on, while Oprah is one of my all time favorite people in the world, however, the whole "dating-manual" thing is naive at best.
    I am not sure I am very familiar with your history with Mr. JD, but from the sound of it, sounds like he is one psychotic bastard (yes, cursing helps).
    Some men just like to string you along.
    They are happy to know you are still there, they can still call you and somehow move something inside of you (your colon?) and just disrupt your existence.
    Its incredibly flattering.
    And as the fabulous Roland Barthes once said, what is life but a series of reenactments?
    We reenact our separation from the ones we love, we reenact our losses, our pains, our memories, in hope that somehow maybe this time it will be different.
    Its not.
    And it won't.
    But its human and it is who we are.
    You can not stigmatize yourself over being human and reenacting the last scene in your relationship.
    We never really lose hope.
    We always secretly wish, maybe this time, maybe if things are different, maybe we did change, if we lose hope, we die.
    I am all for grabbing the next hot man, who can make it worth your while.
    There is nothing that a good man can't fix.
    But while you celebrate being desired and lavished upon with attention and other deviant acts, remember, you are entitled to be outraged.
    You can mourn your loss.
    Or your innocence.
    Its perfectly legitimate.
    No one really understands the theraputic power of acknowledging pain and anger.
    And sweetheart, everyone knows that Napoleon had a huge penis.
    Who would not sacrifice height for that?
    Ixx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is easy to dismiss "he's just not that into you" as naive popular mythology. The reality is, however, that that's exactly the train of thought the book is attacking. There is a tendency to overcomplicate things and ignore simplicity in relationships. (Apologies but) Nietzsche said it himself - it is the shallow truths that repel those in search of knowledge...

    In effect, men do not send mixed signals. If you are able to conduct yourself objectively, a man's behaviour in a relationship will tell you everything you need to know about his level of commitment. ANd this is knowledge that is above all else experiential...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear M, I really like and enjoy your posts. I would like to have the opportunity to contact you. It would be great if we could mail each other. I would also be in London for a few months starting this June. Looking forward to hear from you.. :)

    ReplyDelete